- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 6 sea bass or halibut fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 thick slices tomato
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Brush oil onto bottom of a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with onion and pimientos. Pat fish dry. Combine the salt, mace, cayenne and pepper; sprinkle over both sides of fish.
- Arrange fish over onions and pimientos. Top each fillet with a tomato slice; sprinkle with mushrooms and green onions. Pour wine over fish and vegetables.
- In a nonstick skillet, melt butter; add bread crumbs. Cook and stir over medium heat until lightly browned. Sprinkle over fish.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spanish Fish in Light & Tasty December/January 2004, p45
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Spanish Fish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 19, 2014
"This is a really simple and fresh recipe. The pimentos and cayenne pepper add a bit of heat, while the breadcrumbs give the moist fish a good crunch of texture."