I'VE had this recipe for 50 years and have probably made it hundreds of times. This dish can be prepared quickly. The portions are just right for two people, and any leftovers are just as delicious the next day. -Mary Nelms, Jacksonville, Florida
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (2-1/2 ounces) sliced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken and shake until well coated. In a skillet, brown chicken in butter over medium heat. Remove chicken; set aside and keep warm.
- In the pan drippings, saute onion, green pepper and garlic until tender. Add pimientos and rice. Reduce heat; cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth, turmeric, chili powder and remaining salt; bring to a boil.
- Pour into an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish; top with chicken. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and rice is tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Spanish Chicken and Rice in Reminisce May/June 1998, p45
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Spanish Chicken and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review