I'm always on the lookout for good, fast recipes. This one is easy to cook and serve. I've found that even children like eating chicken this way.—Mrs. Robert Trygg, Duluth, Minnesota
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup picante sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, water, rice, bouillon and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; top with chicken. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Uncover; spoon picante sauce over chicken and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Garnish with olives. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Spanish Chicken in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p292
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Spanish Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review