Spanish Beef Hash Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups chopped sweet yellow, red and/or green peppers
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, peppers, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the potatoes, tomatoes, tomato sauce, olives, mushrooms, red wine and seasonings.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Serve with rice.
- 3. Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup (calculated without rice) equals 253 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 840 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.