Spanakopita Mashed Potatoes Recipe
I learned to cook by watching my mom in the kitchen. Most of the recipes I make use only five or six ingredients, and have a healthier bent. I created this recipe after I tried a spinach-topped baked potato. Flecks of red and green from the potato skin and spinach make these potatoes look festive and special. By not peeling the potatoes, you not only keep some nutrients, you also save on prep time.—Ashley Levy, Columbia, Maryland
- 6 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add spinach; cover and boil for 3-5 minutes or until wilted. Drain and coarsely chop; keep warm.
- 3. Drain potatoes and return to the saucepan. Add milk, butter, salt and pepper; mash until smooth. Fold in cheese and spinach. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 145 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 379 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC