For an easy spanakopita, try this version that is made in a pan, then cut into squares. It has all the wonderful taste of the classic version...buttery phyllo with a spinach-cheese filling, but is so simple to do.Barbara Smith, Chipley, Florida
126 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + freezing Bake: 35 min.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 16 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix egg, spinach and
- cheeses. Brush a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with some of the butter.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough in prepared pan; brush with butter.
- Layer with seven additional phyllo sheets, brushing each layer.
- (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to
- prevent it from drying out.) Spread top with spinach mixture. Top
- with remaining phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Freeze, covered, 30 minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-in.
- squares. Bake 35-45 minutes or until golden brown. Refrigerate
- leftovers. Yield: 10-1/2 dozen.
To Make Ahead: Cover and freeze until ready to use. Cut and bake as directed.
Nutritional Facts: 1 appetizer equals 21 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 40 mg sodium,