For an easy spanakopita, try this version that is made in a pan, then cut into squares. It has all the wonderful taste of the classic version...buttery phyllo with a spinach-cheese filling, but is so simple to do.Barbara Smith, Chipley, Florida
126 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + freezing Bake: 35 min.
- 1 egg
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 16 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, spinach and cheeses; set aside.
- Brush a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with some of the butter.
- Layer eight sheets of phyllo dough in prepared pan, brushing each
- with butter. (Keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a
- damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Spread with spinach
- mixture. Top with remaining phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with
- Cover and freeze for 30 minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-in.
- squares. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Yield: 10-1/2 dozen.
To Make Ahead: Cover and freeze until ready to use. Cut and bake as directed.
Nutritional Facts: 1 appetizer equals 21 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 40 mg sodium,