For an easy spanakopita, try this version that is made in a pan, then cut into squares. It has all the wonderful taste of the classic version...buttery phyllo with a spinach-cheese filling, but is so simple to do.—Barbara Smith, Chipley, Florida
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 16 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix egg, spinach and cheeses. Brush a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with some of the butter.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough in prepared pan; brush with butter. Layer with seven additional phyllo sheets, brushing each layer. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Spread top with spinach mixture. Top with remaining phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Freeze, covered, 30 minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-in. squares. Bake 35-45 minutes or until golden brown. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Spanakopita Bites in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p14
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Spanakopita Bites
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 9, 2013
"VERY simple, yet tastes absolutely as good as 'traditional' spanakopita, which is quite labor-intensive!"