“I love spanakopita, so I made it into a wonderful creamy pasta dish. If you don’t have fresh dill, try 2 Tbsp. of dried.” —Lindsay Williams, Hastings, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 4-1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Add the spinach, Parmesan cheese, cream cheese, lemon juice, dill, nutmeg, salt and cayenne; heat through. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup liquid. Toss pasta with spinach mixture, adding some of the reserved pasta liquid if needed. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 435 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 667 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC