Spaghetti with Meatballs Recipe
In Easton, Pennsylvania, Margaret Glassic lets this hearty sauce simmer while she mixes up the meatballs. "I've served this pasta dish for 50 years, and people still tell me it's the best they've had," she relates.
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 slice bread
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound each ground beef, pork and veal
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, place bread and milk in a large bowl; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the bread crumbs, egg, salt, oregano and pepper. Crumble the ground beef, veal and pork over mixture; mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- 3. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil until a thermometer reads 160°. Add to sauce. In the same skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir into sauce. Simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until heated through. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Spaghetti with Meatballs
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC