- In a large saucepan, cook onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook
- 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, oregano,
- salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, soak bread in water for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze out excess liquid. In a large bowl, combine the eggs,
- cheese, garlic, basil, parsley, salt and bread. Crumble beef over
- mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown
- meatballs in batches in oil over medium heat.
- Add meatballs to sauce; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 30 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain. Serve with
- meatballs and sauce. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3 meatballs and 1/2 cup sauce with 2/3 cup spaghetti equals 368 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 661 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.