Spaghetti with Bacon
As children, my sisters and brothers and I always requested this delicious dish for our birthday dinners. Our mother got the recipe from her grandmother, who prepared it when my mother was a child nearly 90 years ago. I've continued the tasty tradition with my own children.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 8 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- In a skillet, brown bacon and onion until bacon is crisp; drain. Add
- tomatoes and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Place cooked spaghetti
- in a 2-qt. baking dish. Pour sauce over, cover and bake at 350°
- for 45 minutes. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 159 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 498 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.