Spaghetti Turkey Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces spaghetti
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat stick margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the turkey, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, basil, fennel seed and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to package directions; drain. In a bowl, combine the spaghetti, egg substitute, margarine, Parmesan cheese and parsley flakes. Form a crust in a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Stir 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese into the turkey mixture; spoon into spaghetti crust. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 213 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 296 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.