Spaghetti Squash with Sweet Peppers Recipe
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (2 pounds)
- 1/2 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 4 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a microwave-safe dish or plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the peppers, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add tomatoes and garlic; saute 4-5 minutes longer. Add the broth and salt; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes.
- 3. When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. Place squash on a serving platter or individual plates; top with the pepper mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1/2 cup spaghetti squash with 1/2 cup pepper mixture) equals 110 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 372 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 fat.