- 1 medium spaghetti squash (2 pounds)
- 1/2 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 4 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a microwave-safe dish or plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the peppers, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add tomatoes and garlic; saute 4-5 minutes longer. Add the broth and salt; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. Place squash on a serving platter or individual plates; top with the pepper mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Spaghetti Squash with Sweet Peppers
"Having no experience with cooking spaghetti squash my finance and I were keen to try this dish. We would both say that without a doubt it far exceeded our expectations! We didn't have any mushrooms or parmesan cheese, but doubling the peppers and using Old Fort cheddar in the place of parmesan left us more than satisfied. Having read a couple of other recipes we did choose to coat our squash in butter and lightly season with salt and pepper before cooking it in the oven, a definite modification from this recipe. After the squash was cooked we used the fork to separate the strands as indicated, and put these all into large bowl before adding a touch more butter, salt, and pepper to taste. We then put our servings back into the spaghetti squash shells before topping them with the pepper mixture and cheese.An easy, scrumptious and timely meal. It has definitely been added to our repertoire! Highly recommended."
"Hubby and I really like this. I didnt have any green bellpeppers, mushrooms or tomatoes and really wanted to try it. I substituted canned diced tomatoes (with onion and garlic) and it was very good. Next time I make it I hope to have some mushrooms on hand. This one is a keeper."
"This was my first adventure with spaghetti squash. Quite tasty! The whole recipe just seemed rather time consuming...that's why I gave it 4 stars. A fun thing to do when you want to try something different.~ Theresa"
"This was very tasty. I loved the flavors the sauted vegetables added to the spaghetti squash. I used it as side dish. I left out the salt and used salt-free chicken broth. I will definitely make this again."
"Excellent! Never tried spaghetti squash before - it was easy to cook. But watch out while separating strands, heat is trapped inside and it gets quite hot. This was such a fresh main dish, we dont usually eat meatless but it was so flavorful that it didn't matter. I did sprinkle on some pepper and abit more parmesan."