Spaghetti Squash with Red Sauce Recipe
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 4 pounds)
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash, cut side down, on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 14-16 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the tomatoes, mushrooms, green pepper, carrot, onion, Italian seasoning and pepper in oil for 6-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato sauce; heat through.
- 3. When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. Place squash on a serving platter; top with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup squash with 1/3 cup sauce (calculated without Parmesan cheese) equals 135 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 372 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.