Spaghetti Squash with Balsamic Vegetables and Toasted Pine Nuts Recipe
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 4 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and halved
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high 15-18 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute carrots and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in beans, tomatoes, artichokes, zucchini, vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until heated through.
- 3. When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. Serve with bean mixture. Sprinkle with nuts. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup bean mixture with 2/3 cup squash and 4 teaspoons nuts equals 275 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 510 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat.