Spaghetti Squash Supper Recipe
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Halve squash lengthwise and discard seeds. Place, cut side down, in a microwave-safe dish. Add the water; cover and microwave on high for 12-15 minutes or until squash is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large skillet until no longer pink; drain. Add the onion, green pepper, zucchini and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally; drain. Add the beans, tomatoes, Italian seasoning and salt. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- 3. When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands; place in a serving dish. Top with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 269 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 846mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 8g fiber), 14g protein .
Reviews for Spaghetti Squash Supper
"Good recipe—really like that the majority of ingredients is vegetables and not meat. I think the sausage plays a key role and important to get a great tasting one. Recipe is also very versatile, next time will omit the beans and add mushrooms. I agree with another reviewer to mix it all together prior to serving."
"Great recipe with lots of flavor that both my husband and I loved. It's just an extra bonus that it uses up some zucchini too!"
"My first attempt at spaghetti squash and it came out great! So easy and delicious! I added some yellow pepper too and used spicy sausage"
"Delicious, fast & easy!!! Loved it!"
"Delicious and easy! My son has never been fond of spaghetti squash, but he raved abot this dish! Definitely a keeper!"
"My family loved this! I didn't have the zuchini so used stir fry vegetables and it turned out great. This will become a frequently used recipe!"
"My children wouldn't even touch this, but my husband & I enjoyed it. It is plain and simple but good, and a good way to get lots of squash into you!"
"I made this tonight to use up a spaghetti squash. It was good! The spaghetti squash was interesting and healthier than pasta. I wasn't sure which sausage I was supposed to use -- and was afraid of accidentally ending up with breakfast sausage -- so I got the Johnsonville mild Italian ground sausage that comes in the tray, not the tube. Also added a chopped tomato, since I had some to use up. And left out the added salt; didn't miss it."
"Best way to use the abundant spaghetti squash harvest this year :) Thanks so much!"
"My husband and I LOVED this!!! He didn't start eating veggies til we got married, but after 3 years, he's hooked! So filling, but not at all heavy! And super easy! Will definitely be having it often!"
"Very good and SO easy & quick! I think I'll add some chopped spinach next time."
"The recipe looks very good.I like spaghetti squash .But I would mix the other vegetables with the Spaghetti Squash at the end,since the squash does not have to much flavor."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.