- 1 medium spaghetti squash (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Halve squash lengthwise and discard seeds. Place, cut side down, in a microwave-safe dish. Add the water; cover and microwave on high for 12-15 minutes or until squash is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large skillet until no longer pink; drain. Add the onion, green pepper, zucchini and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally; drain. Add the beans, tomatoes, Italian seasoning and salt. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands; place in a serving dish. Top with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Spaghetti Squash Supper
"Good recipe—really like that the majority of ingredients is vegetables and not meat. I think the sausage plays a key role and important to get a great tasting one. Recipe is also very versatile, next time will omit the beans and add mushrooms. I agree with another reviewer to mix it all together prior to serving."
"Great recipe with lots of flavor that both my husband and I loved. It's just an extra bonus that it uses up some zucchini too!"
"My first attempt at spaghetti squash and it came out great! So easy and delicious! I added some yellow pepper too and used spicy sausage"
"Delicious, fast & easy!!! Loved it!"
"Delicious and easy! My son has never been fond of spaghetti squash, but he raved abot this dish! Definitely a keeper!"