Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipe
- 1 small spaghetti squash (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Place with cut side down in a baking dish; add water. Cover and bake at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until it is easily pierced with a fork. When cool enough to handle, scoop out squash, separating the strands with a fork. In a skillet, cook beef, onion, red pepper and garlic until meat is browned and the vegetables are tender. Drain; add tomatoes, oregano, salt, pepper and squash. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Transfer to an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheese and parsley; let stand a few minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 160 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein .
Reviews for Spaghetti Squash Casserole
"This is delicious and such a great way to use spaghetti squash. After reading all the suggestions I added sausage to double the meat, used Italian seasoning instead of just oregano. 3 Garlic cloves minced and added one extra can of fire roasted tomatoes to keep it all moist. It did need more salt, surprisingly, so I added more as I was cooking per taste. It's really delicious. Thank you for posting this."
"Delicious! Added some tomato sauce to the original recipe, have made this several times is a family favorite."
"Loved this! Added some tomato paste, Italian seasoning, mixture of mozzarella and cheddar cheese on top and baked with cheese on top."
"Since some of the reviews suggested adding pasta or pizza sauce because it was dry, I added a jar of pizza sauce. It was good and I will make it again."
"Substituted the ground beef for ground elk and was really good! Make sure to add a little extra seasoning and tomato juices as it can be slightly bland/dry."
"Excellent!! I had absolutely no leftovers."
"Very good recipe! I can't eat cheese so left it off and it was still wonderful!"
"This recipe is a great starting point. I have made it 6 times now and I do it different each time. Last time I used Italian sausage and double the meat, I use jar spaghetti sauce and last of all I put the cheese on before it goes in the oven. It comes out kinda like a lasagna. My kids even eat it."
"I used 2 cups of diced tomatoes and added some Italian seasoning as someone suggested for more flavour. Very easy recipe....very quick, for a healthy family meal. Will definitely make this casserole again!"
"This is excellent! The first time I made it was with home grown squash that was bigger in size than called for so I doubled the meat sauce which worked great. That first time, I found that I was out of tomatoes, so I used home canned tomato products. I have used a chili base, pasta sauce, and salsa. Any of them worked great. I will continue to make it this way."
"This is a big hit with my family! My kids love it, although they want to know why the "noodles" are crunch!"
"Love this! Have won over hubby and company alike who generally dislike squash. Definitely a keeper"
"This recipe was amazing! I honestly was not sure what to expect; my first time cooking with spaghetti squash. I will definitely make this again! I used ground turkey instead of beef and added a little bit of mixed Italian seasonings in addition to plain oregano. Delicious!!"
"I was not a fan of this recipe at all. I felt it was lacking in seasoning, and was unappealing."
"This was a very simple and easy hotdish, and also very yummy! If I want to stretch it more, I'd add some cooked macaroni to it."
"I have made this twice now and I love it."
"I've made this twice, but substituted the groud beef for sausage and it's delish. A real hit in my house."
"This is wonderful. I have made it several times now and everyone has loved it."
"I have made this recipe so many times. It's totally yummy. Even my children enjoyed it when they were younger. Usually I substitute ground turkey for the beef, and I use a can of Italian tomatoes.""