Spaghetti Squash Casserole Bake Recipe
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 8 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Slice the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a baking dish. Add 1/2-in. water and cover tightly with foil. Bake at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper; saute until onion is tender. Add tomatoes; cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
- 3. Scoop out the squash, separating strands with a fork. Combine the squash, tomato mixture, bread crumbs, ricotta cheese and parsley.
- 4. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40 minutes or until heated through and top is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup: 263 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 528mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein
Reviews for Spaghetti Squash Casserole Bake
"Quicker to halve, take out seeds, put face down in casserole dish, cover plastic wrap, microwave 15-20 min.. Use any topping you would use with pasta"
"very good, but I think I will try to spice it up next time. a little bland for us. I added meatballs to make it a one dish meal"
"Really time consuming!"
"It was great! I added in some chicken breast but left the rest the same... will definitely make again!"
"Delicious! VERY easy to make. The sketti squash took a bit longer than 20-30 minutes. I infact bumped up the temp to about 425 degrees for approx 50-60mins. I used a can of diced tomatoes because I did not have any tomatoes in the fridge. This worked out great! Make sure you drain the tomatoes before adding them. I omitted the mushrooms for the first time because friends/family don't like mushrooms. It was fine without them however don't omit them if you don't have to. Next time I may add green and/or red peppers (diced finely) and some spinach. This is my first time cooking with sketti squash and I will add this to my recipe book."
"Wow. Loved this recipe, such a nice change from other casseroles. I used cottage cheese/sour cream cuz couldn't find ricotta. I froze it before baking, then thawed it and baked as directed and it came out fine! Next time I would add a bit more salt."
"I really enjoyed this recipe. It was fairly easy to make and turned out to be a hit for the entire family."
"I really loved how everything went together so well. I don't add ricotta cheese or bread crumbs, instead I add more tomatoes to keep it on the healthier side."
"Delicious, I didn't have mushrooms, but I threw in sauté spinach."
"FANTASTIC!!!! This is the first time I've ever tried spaghetti squash and it was a hit with the whole family. My 3 year old will NOT eat anything that resembles vegetables, but ate all of this, including the other veggies that are mixed in. I think this just became a staple in out house! ;-)"