Spaghetti Squash Boats Recipe
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 pound ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a baking dish. Fill pan with hot water to a depth of 1/2 in. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- 2. When cool enough to handle, scoop out squash, separating strands with a fork; set shells and squash aside.
- 3. In a skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the mushrooms, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in squash.
- 4. Cook, uncovered, until liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Fill shells; place in shallow baking dish.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 side-dish servings or 2 main-dish servings.
1 cup equals 102 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 246 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 lean meat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.