- 1 medium spaghetti squash (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 pound ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a baking dish. Fill pan with hot water to a depth of 1/2 in. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop out squash, separating strands with a fork; set shells and squash aside.
- In a skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the mushrooms, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in squash.
- Cook, uncovered, until liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Fill shells; place in shallow baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 side-dish servings or 2 main-dish servings.
Reviews forSpaghetti Squash Boats
"Im a vegetarian and I made his dish last night for my family using salmon and broccoli with cheese it was so good and filling I cant to make more of your recipes"
"This was excellent, I made it without the meat and was still good."
"I used a pound of ground beef and doubled all of the ingredients except for the squash. It made so much I had to use a casserole dish. It was great! Will definitely make again"
"We have made this recipe several times now and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!!!!!! The changes we make are 1/2 lb beef, 1 whole onion, 1 whole green pepper, 4 oz can mushrooms (drained), low sodium season salt (instead of reg. salt), and 2 heaping t. minced garlic in a jar. Also, use a 3 lb squash. It always presents well! Very impressive to look at and eat both!"
"I made this recipe with sausage instead of ground beef, and it was great."
"This is very fresh tasting. I will make it again."