Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the green pepper, celery, onion and carrots; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 3 to 4 hours to allow flavors to blend, stirring occasionally. Yield: 2-1/2 quarts.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 191 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 1,028 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for Spaghetti Sauce
"I gave it two stars for all the veggies in this but it had way too much sage and allspice. Today I am making my own standby recipe with less spices and add it to this to tone it down and so I don't have to waste anything."
"Odd too many flavors"
"My whole family loved this spaghetti sauce... even my picky eater! I'll make it again and again."
"This is the best spaghetti sauce I have ever tasted in my life and is very well worth the effort"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.