- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute the onion, green pepper,
- celery and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato
- paste, water, bay leaves, sugar, oregano, cloves, pepper flakes and
- pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours,
- stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the egg, onion, bread cubes, milk,
- parsley, garlic and salt. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a skillet, brown the meatballs in
- batches in oil; drain.
- Add meatballs to sauce. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until a
- thermometer reads 160°. Discard bay leaves. Serve meatballs and
- sauce with spaghetti. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 198 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 364 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.