In Alverton, Pennsylvania, Betty Claycomb keeps this blend of seasonings on hand so she can stir up speedy spaghetti sauce. "It's a snap to add browned ground beef, tomato paste and water to create a mild, pleasantly flavored sauce," she says.
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 3 tablespoons dried celery flakes
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- Combine the first eight ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 4 batches (1 cup total).
- To prepare spaghetti sauce: In a skillet, brown beef; drain. Stir in 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce mix, water and tomato paste. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Yield: about 3 cups sauce per batch.
Originally published as Spaghetti Sauce Mix in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p59
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Spaghetti Sauce Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review