- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a Dutch oven, brown ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the green pepper, celery, onion and carrots; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 3 to 4 hours to allow flavors to blend, stirring occasionally. Yield: 2-1/2 quarts.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Spaghetti Sauce
Sort By :
"Odd too many flavors"
"My whole family loved this spaghetti sauce... even my picky eater! I'll make it again and again."
"This is the best spaghetti sauce I have ever tasted in my life and is very well worth the effort"