Spaghetti Pie Recipe
- 6 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup undrained canned diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook spaghetti according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, seasonings and sugar.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk egg whites, melted butter and Parmesan cheese until blended. Add spaghetti and toss to coat. Press spaghetti mixture onto bottom and up sides of a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray, forming a crust. Spread cottage cheese onto bottom; top with beef mixture.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece: 348 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Spaghetti Pie
"We LOVE this recipe. It's almost like a spaghetti lasagna. One change I made: since others mentioned it lacked enough spice, I bought tomato paste and diced tomatoes with the spices in them. I still added in what it called for too. It had the PERFECT amount of flavor. I also put as much mozzarella on top that I wanted (didn't measure, just threw it on there). Had it in the oven for 17 minutes then 6. Next time I think I might leave it in for 18 or 19 to get the spaghetti part just a bit more firm. Also, I had to use a sort of round pyrex bowl thing. If I had tried to put it in my 9.5" pie dish, it would have overflowed. So if you're going to use a pie dish, make sure it's a DEEP dish. I will be making this many many more times."
"I MADE THIS AND MY FAMILY LOVED IT. FOLLOWED RECIPE EXACTLY AS WRITTEN."
"My family loves it! I used 1/2 pound of beef and added hot peppers more for flavor to suit my family's taste buds."
"I used gluten free rotini because that was all I had in the pantry. Yummy!"
"This is a family hit. I use Italian chopped tomatoes and no green pepper."
"We really liked this recipe. I did change it a bit by using my recipe for the meat sauce. It came out very watery, so not sure if I my meat sauce was too thin for this type of recipe, so the noodles didn't really bake into a crust. Will definitely have it again!"
"Amazing and tastes so good! Although you could easily substitute Prego or another spaghetti sauce in a pinch when time is short. I have picky eaters so I had to remove the onion and green peppers for them, but I make one for the adults with the onion and peppers. YUM!"
"PS - I also used roasted tomato's and paste with basil, oregano and garlic instead of plain. So I didn't have issues with the flavor."
"This lacked flavor. It needed something to spice it up a little bit. Possibly more garlic or peppers."
"I'm not sure but I think I might be related to the person that submitted this recipe. I'm a Wells's. We live in middletown Ohio and this pie was one of the family favorites made by Juanita w.rest her sole. I would recommend highly. Only thing missing is her fudge. :-)"
"Mmm, tasty! I didn't have enough cottage cheese, so I used a combination of cottage cheese, cream cheese and sour cream. Very yummy!"
"This recipe is delicious. I always make two at a time... one to eat now and one to freeze!"
"Even the two year old ate it. It was faster than lasagna. Generous serving size - we cut it into 8 slices instead of 6 and it was still enough for us to be satisfied. Put this recipe in my recipe box to make again. I'm planning on sharing this with the ladies at work."
"I absolutely loved this recipe! Very delicious and filling. The leftovers made a great lunch."
"Everyone in my family really liked this. My husband wa skeptical when he came home and smelled it, but he admitted it really came together and made a tasty dish.I used ground turkey instead of ground beef and added basil as well for seasoning."
"Thought it would be hard to cut pieces but it wasnt-very good but very hard to say no to anything but 1 piece!"
"I wasn't too crazy about the flavor of this recipe, but it was easy to make and made a ton. I might actually try this again with store bought sauce---GASP!"
"I make this recipe often and really enjoy it! It also freezes well - let it cool after assembling and then put it in the freezer. When ready to eat, thaw the pie and then bake as normal."
"Absolutely delicious. Well seasoned and creamy. It was very quick to put together."