Spaghetti Pie Recipe
- 6 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup undrained canned diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook spaghetti according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- 2. In a nonstick skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, seasonings and sugar.
- 3. Place drained spaghetti in a large bowl; add beaten egg whites, melted butter and Parmesan cheese and toss to combine. Transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray, pressing spaghetti onto bottom and up sides. Spread cottage cheese onto bottom; top with beef mixture.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece equals 348 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 690 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.