- 6 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup undrained canned diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook spaghetti according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, seasonings and sugar.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites, melted butter and Parmesan cheese until blended. Add spaghetti and toss to coat. Press spaghetti mixture onto bottom and up sides of a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray, forming a crust. Spread cottage cheese onto bottom; top with beef mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Spaghetti Pie
"We LOVE this recipe. It's almost like a spaghetti lasagna. One change I made: since others mentioned it lacked enough spice, I bought tomato paste and diced tomatoes with the spices in them. I still added in what it called for too. It had the PERFECT amount of flavor. I also put as much mozzarella on top that I wanted (didn't measure, just threw it on there). Had it in the oven for 17 minutes then 6. Next time I think I might leave it in for 18 or 19 to get the spaghetti part just a bit more firm. Also, I had to use a sort of round pyrex bowl thing. If I had tried to put it in my 9.5" pie dish, it would have overflowed. So if you're going to use a pie dish, make sure it's a DEEP dish. I will be making this many many more times."
"I MADE THIS AND MY FAMILY LOVED IT. FOLLOWED RECIPE EXACTLY AS WRITTEN."
"My family loves it! I used 1/2 pound of beef and added hot peppers more for flavor to suit my family's taste buds."
"I used gluten free rotini because that was all I had in the pantry. Yummy!"
"This is a family hit. I use Italian chopped tomatoes and no green pepper."
"We really liked this recipe. I did change it a bit by using my recipe for the meat sauce. It came out very watery, so not sure if I my meat sauce was too thin for this type of recipe, so the noodles didn't really bake into a crust. Will definitely have it again!"
"Amazing and tastes so good! Although you could easily substitute Prego or another spaghetti sauce in a pinch when time is short. I have picky eaters so I had to remove the onion and green peppers for them, but I make one for the adults with the onion and peppers. YUM!"
"PS - I also used roasted tomato's and paste with basil, oregano and garlic instead of plain. So I didn't have issues with the flavor."
"Really easy recipe. We are trying to be low carb and low fat, so I replaced the pasta with Spaghetti squash (which I roasted for an hour in some chicken broth) and used everything low/no fat. It was yummy."
"This lacked flavor. It needed something to spice it up a little bit. Possibly more garlic or peppers."