A classic Italian combination is remade into a creamy, family-pleasing casserole in this quick and easy dish. "This recipe was given to me several years ago," notes Ellen Thompson from Springfield, Ohio. "My family never grows tired of it."
- 6 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup undrained canned diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook spaghetti according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, seasonings and sugar.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites, melted butter and Parmesan cheese until blended. Add spaghetti and toss to coat. Press spaghetti mixture onto bottom and up sides of a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray, forming a crust. Spread cottage cheese onto bottom; top with beef mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spaghetti Pie in Light & Tasty February/March 2006, p31
Reviews for Spaghetti Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review