It was such a joy to come home and find my mom making spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. This recipe has always been dear to my heart. —Debbie Heggie, Laramie, Wyoming
Featured In: 42 Better-for-You Pasta Recipes
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- For meatballs, preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs and water; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in eggs, cheese, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Add beef and pork; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls.
Place meatballs on a greased rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Add meatballs to sauce, stirring gently to combine. Serve with spaghetti.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meatball mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Spaghetti Supper in Taste of Home Annual Recipes Annual 2010, p287
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Spaghetti Meatball Supper
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review