Spaghetti Fruit Salad Recipe
My great-aunt gave me the recipe for this rich, fruity salad, which goes especially well with a ham dinner. Before I even tasted it, I knew it would be good. I've never walked away from her kitchen disappointed. —Carolyn Shepherd, O'Neill, Nebraska
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 3 medium tart apples, diced
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Maraschino cherries, halved
- 1. In a saucepan, combine sugar, eggs, lemon juice and salt; cook and stir over medium heat until temperature reaches 160° and mixture is thickened, about 4 minutes. Cool completely.
- 2. Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. Place in a large bowl.
- 3. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Pour juice over the spaghetti; stir in apples. Toss gently; drain. Stir in the egg mixture and pineapple. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4. Fold in whipped topping just before serving. Garnish with walnuts and cherries. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 203 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 95 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC