A homemade sauce tops spaghetti in this classic recipe featuring peas and bacon.
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Additional Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the cornstarch, eggs and cream until smooth; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Gradually stir into egg mixture. Add peas to hot skillet; cook and stir for 1 minute or until heated through. Pour egg mixture into skillet all at once, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon with a thin film and a thermometer reads 160°, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Drain spaghetti; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with bacon, cheese, salt and pepper; toss again. Serve immediately with additional cheese if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Spaghetti Carbonara in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2006, p293
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Spaghetti Carbonara
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review