Spaghetti and Meatballs with Garlic Crumbs Recipe
Garlic crumbs add a nice crunch to this spaghetti from my cookbook, Cooking for Isaiah: Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Recipes for Easy, Delicious Meals. No one would guess this hearty, Italian-style favorite is gluten-free. —Silvana Nardone, Brooklyn, New York
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1 small onion, grated
- 5 cloves garlic1 chopped, 2 smashed and 2 grated
- 1 cup rice cereal crumbs, divided
- 1/2 cup rice milk
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 package (12 ounces) corn or rice spaghetti
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the beef, onion, chopped garlic, 1/2 cup cereal crumbs, milk, egg, 2 tablespoons parsley and 1 teaspoon salt; shape into eight 2-in. balls.
- 2. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the smashed garlic and cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Submerge the meatballs in the sauce; bring to a simmer and cook, covered and stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Season with about 1 teaspoon salt.
- 3. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti until al dente, about 15 minutes; drain and toss with the sauce.
- 4. To make the garlic crumbs, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the grated garlic, remaining 1/2 cup cereal crumbs, red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool, then stir in the remaining 1/4 cup parsley. To serve, divide the spaghetti among shallow bowls and top with meatballs and garlic crumbs. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 750 calories, 20g fat (5g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 1999mg sodium, 107g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 11g fiber), 39g protein.
Reviews for Spaghetti and Meatballs with Garlic Crumbs
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC