- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 4 chicken drumsticks (about 1 pound), skin removed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot (about 2 inches), peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Hot cooked rice and minced fresh cilantro
- Place chicken, carrots and green onions in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, vinegar, coriander and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Pour juices into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken and rice; sprinkle servings with cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Soy-Ginger Chicken
"I doubled the recipe, using 5 lbs of drumsticks. I didn't have balsamic vinegar so used red wine vinegar with a bit of sugar added. I used 2 tsp ground ginger instead of gingerroot & omitted coriander. Yummy!- Theresa"
"Yummo! Excellent flavor combo. Didn't have fresh, so used powdered ginger. Will use fresh next time. Hardest part was "skinning" the chicken. Added more balsamic cuz I love it. Family loved it as well. Will definitely make this again!"
"We weren't huge fans of this one. Seemed a bit bland/boring."
"So great so easy!!!!"
"This was a delicious recipe. I used a pound of skinless chicken breasts and it turned out really tender. The chicken was very flavorful, but I added a teaspoon of Italian seasonings and an extra tablespoon of balsamic vinegar for added zest. I may add some additional carrots next time, as well. Overall, this was a savory chicken dish."
"Really good! The only thing I would do differently next time would be to add some stir fry veggies. Something to add a bit of crunch and freshness. Fair warning--the smell will make you hungry ALL DAY!!"
"Very, very good....smells wonderful in the house when it's cooking. The flavors all blend beautifully."