Soy-Ginger Chicken Recipe
Bone-in chicken becomes moist and tender when cooked with sliced carrots and green onions in a rich ginger-soy sauce that’s brightened with brown sugar, balsamic vinegar and coriander. —Kael Harvey, Brooklyn, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours YIELD:4 servings
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 4 chicken drumsticks (about 1 pound), skin removed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot (about 2 inches), peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Hot cooked rice and minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Place chicken, carrots and green onions in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, vinegar, coriander and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- 2. Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Pour juices into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken and rice; sprinkle servings with cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC