Southwestern Veggie Bake Recipe
Refrigerated corn bread twists create an appealing lattice top on this zippy main dish. The original recipe contained cooked chicken instead of kidney beans and celery, but my family prefers my meatless version, which is spicier, too. It's such a time-saver that I make it a lot! -Julie Zeager, Kent, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tube (11-1/2 ounces) refrigerated corn bread twists
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, saute carrots, celery, onion and seasonings in butter until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- 2. Remove from the heat; add beans, corn, tomatoes and chilies. Spoon into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Separate corn bread twists; weave a lattice crust over filling.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until corn bread is golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 345 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 849 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC