Southwestern Veggie Bake Recipe
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tube (11-1/2 ounces) refrigerated corn bread twists
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, saute carrots, celery, onion and seasonings in butter until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- 2. Remove from the heat; add beans, corn, tomatoes and chilies. Spoon into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Separate corn bread twists; weave a lattice crust over filling.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until corn bread is golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 345 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 849mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 8g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Southwestern Veggie Bake
"Great! Definately will prepare again. I used as a side dish and got more servings. Everyone loved it."