Southwestern Veggie Bake Recipe
Refrigerated corn bread twists create an appealing lattice top on this zippy main dish. The original recipe contained cooked chicken instead of kidney beans and celery, but my family prefers my meatless version, which is spicier, too. It's such a time-saver that I make it a lot! -Julie Zeager, Kent, Ohio
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tube (11-1/2 ounces) refrigerated corn bread twists
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, saute carrots, celery, onion and seasonings in butter until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- 2. Remove from the heat; add beans, corn, tomatoes and chilies. Spoon into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Separate corn bread twists; weave a lattice crust over filling.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until corn bread is golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 345 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 849mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 8g fiber), 12g protein .
Reviews for Southwestern Veggie Bake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC