Southwestern Veggie Bake Recipe
Refrigerated corn bread twists create an appealing lattice top on this zippy main dish. The original recipe contained cooked chicken instead of kidney beans and celery, but my family prefers my meatless version, which is spicier, too. It's such a time-saver that I make it a lot! -Julie Zeager, Kent, Ohio
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tube (11-1/2 ounces) refrigerated corn bread twists
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, saute carrots, celery, onion and seasonings in butter until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat; add beans, corn, tomatoes and chilies. Spoon into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Separate corn bread twists; weave a lattice crust over filling.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until corn bread is golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Veggie Bake in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p31
Reviews for Southwestern Veggie Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 18, 2008
Great! Definately will prepare again. I used as a side dish and got more servings. Everyone loved it.