Southwestern Turkey Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 to 3 tablespoons diced jalapeno pepper
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- Sour cream, coarsely crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese and sliced ripe olives, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne. Add the turkey, beans, tomatoes and corn.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Garnish with sour cream, chips, cheese and olives if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Southwestern Turkey Soup
Sort By :
"Delicious and easy... Next time I will at least double this recipe. Full of flavour but not too spicy... This will become my go-to recipe for leftover turkey methinks...."
"I make this every time we have leftover turkey. We grill our turkey and corn, which adds great flavor!"
"I have made this several times now & one of the best things about this recipe is how quickly it comes together. It's a real treat to be able to make a delicious meal without spending a lot of time in the kitchen. Love the combination of the spicy flavors. If I don't have jalapenos in the house, I use canned diced tomatoes with jalapenos & it's just as good. I reduce the cumin to 2 teaspoons, increase the broth to 16 ounces, & use canned corn instead of frozen. Perfect every time!"
"My family and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe! We have a family of 5 and I would suggest doubling it because we didn't have any left over. I made it last week and it was delicious. I made a turkey again today so that I could use the leftover and make a big huge pot of this soup. So yummy and great for a cold day!!!"
"Delicious! Flavorful and spicy but not too hot. My whole family enjoyed it. I doubled/tripled parts (used 3 different kinds of beans, 3 jalepenos and added an extra can of diced green chilis) so I could make enough to use all my leftover turkey. If you like cumin flavor you will love this soup."