Southwestern Tomato Soup
This smooth flavorful tomato soup is unbeatable when the season's ripest tomatoes are available and the weather starts to cool. Each delicious fresh-tasting bowlful will warm you from the inside out.
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 10 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 to 2 Anaheim peppers, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- Sour cream, optional
- Place tomatoes cut side down on a broiler pan; broil 3-4 in. from the
- heat for 15-20 minutes. Peel and discard skins. Repeat with peppers,
- broiling for 5-10 minutes.
- In a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Transfer to a blender; add tomatoes and peppers. Cover and process
- until smooth.
- Press mixture through a strainer with a spoon; discard seeds. Place
- mixture in a large saucepan. Add the broth, cilantro, cumin, sugar,