Southwestern Three-Meat Chili Recipe
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 7-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook the beef, pork and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the onions, celery, green pepper and garlic; cook for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 1-1/2 hours. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 18-20 servings.
1 cup: 289 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 649mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Reviews for Southwestern Three-Meat Chili
"Great chili recipe. I made half the recipe and used ground pork and veal = 9 ounces that I had in the freezer; 4 ounces Italian sausage; 1 pound chili meat (85% lean); 8 ounce pork loin chop for the meat = 37 ounces of meat vs 40 as written. I doubled the celery and green pepper and added an additional tablespoon of chili powder. Perfect flavor and not overly spicy."
"This is the best chili I've ever had! My entire family loves it so much it has become one of our favorite recipes."
"I made this chili outside in a dutch oven. It is great. I made a half recipe for two people and have enough for many leftover meals."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.