Southwestern Taco Salad Recipe
- 2 packages (5.6 ounces each) refrigerated taco salad shells
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 8 cups shredded lettuce
- Toppings: chopped tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, olives
- 1. Prepare taco salad shells according to package directions; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, cook beef, onions, garlic and seasonings over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in beans; heat through.
- 3. Spoon about 1/3 cup meat mixture into each salad shell. Top with the lettuce and remaining meat mixture; sprinkle with bacon. Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 313 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 732 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.