Southwestern Taco Casserole Recipe
- 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack or pepper Jack cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in beans.
- 2. Spoon meat mixture into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk and biscuit mix until moistened. Pour over cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Spread with sour cream. Top with cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato and olives. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 601 calories, 32g fat (17g saturated fat), 172mg cholesterol, 1544mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 40g protein.
Reviews for Southwestern Taco Casserole
"This is awesome. It deserves 5 star+ I used 13 x 9 pan to hold All ingredientsAll asked for recipe"
"Delicious! I added 1/2 large onion and a can of tomatoes. Also used low salt Taco seasoning seasoning. We loved it."
"I loved this recipe. Next time I might add some green chilies in and also like other cooks I will add garlic and onions in the the mixture. I also used ground turkey."
"It looked very nice, was easy so make, but neither my husband nor I could eat it. The "biscuit" topping was way too thick - more like a cornbread. The taco seasoning that come from packet always leaves something to be desired and add blank kidney beans and it is not tasty at all. Perhaps if you like packet seasoning you might like this."
"Very easy to make and my family loved it!! Will defiantly make it again!!"
"This was very good. By far the best taco casserole I've made!! The only thing I did different was to use my homemade taco seasoning:)"
"This was very good tho I tweaked it a bit. I added in a medium chopped Vidalia onion, 4 cloves of garlic (fry wiith the beef), one cup of frozen corn. We used the kidney beans as stated but I think black beans would work better. i spooned in half the beef mixture added a cup of cheese on top and then topped it with rest of the beef. We love cheese so much that we'll probably double it next time."
"Good and hearty meal. I added 1/2 chopped med. onion and garlic and can of diced tomatoes to the beef mixture."
"Delicious and easy. My family loved it!"
"I use a sweet cornbread instead as the first layer baked as instructed, then add refried beans, mexican cheese,cooked meat with onions,red beans,taco seasoning,another layer on cheese. bake at 350 until cheese melted. cut into squares and layer with tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream and black olives. Yummm."
"Another 'No brainer.' Done this several times (or very close) for 'Pot Lucks.' Only thing I took home was an empty plate and a spoon for the dish washer.Can't get better than that?"
"Made this today for Cinco de Mayo! I added some salsa on top!!! Delish!!!"
"We too have been making this for years. I believe I received the recipe in 1987, from some 1986 cookbook that has long since been lost - but I know the recipe by heart because I used to make it at least twice a month while my six kids were growing up. It's a winner. Two of my six kids list it as a favorite."
"I have been making this for years and it is a hugevfavorite in our family. I sometimes multiply it to bake in a 13x9 for pot lucks or reunions. In that case, I sprinkle slight crushed corn chip on the top as well. Thanks for sharing."
"The entire family loved it!! I used 1-1/2 lbs of ground meat, 1-pkg. of seasoning and homemade bisquick, those were the items I had on hand. We topped it off with lettuce, tomato, onion, green pepper, and mushrooms."
"It was pretty good. I also used sweet cornbread. My kids are picky and dont like lettuce tomatoes and sour cream, so I added the toppings as I dished on their plates."
"We tried it using a corn bread mix instead of biscuits, and added sauteed onions to the meat before baking... The boys loved it. I will be making this regularly and tring different changes also...Thanks for the recipe."