Southwestern Taco Casserole Recipe
When you're bored with traditional tacos, give this filling main dish a try. It puts the same Southwestern taste into a comforting casserole. —Bonnie King, Lansing, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 2-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 packages taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack or pepper Jack cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in beans.
- 2. Spoon meat mixture into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk and biscuit mix until moistened. Pour over cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Spread with sour cream. Top with cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato and olives. Yield: 6-8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC