- 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or pepper jack cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in beans.
- Spoon meat mixture into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk and biscuit mix until moistened. Pour over cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Spread with sour cream. Top with cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato and olives. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Southwestern Taco Casserole
"This is awesome. It deserves 5 star+ I used 13 x 9 pan to hold All ingredientsAll asked for recipe"
"Delicious! I added 1/2 large onion and a can of tomatoes. Also used low salt Taco seasoning seasoning. We loved it."
"I loved this recipe. Next time I might add some green chilies in and also like other cooks I will add garlic and onions in the the mixture. I also used ground turkey."
"It looked very nice, was easy so make, but neither my husband nor I could eat it. The "biscuit" topping was way too thick - more like a cornbread. The taco seasoning that come from packet always leaves something to be desired and add blank kidney beans and it is not tasty at all. Perhaps if you like packet seasoning you might like this."
"Very easy to make and my family loved it!! Will defiantly make it again!!"
"This was very good. By far the best taco casserole I've made!! The only thing I did different was to use my homemade taco seasoning:)"
"This was very good tho I tweaked it a bit. I added in a medium chopped Vidalia onion, 4 cloves of garlic (fry wiith the beef), one cup of frozen corn. We used the kidney beans as stated but I think black beans would work better. i spooned in half the beef mixture added a cup of cheese on top and then topped it with rest of the beef. We love cheese so much that we'll probably double it next time."
"Good and hearty meal. I added 1/2 chopped med. onion and garlic and can of diced tomatoes to the beef mixture."
"Delicious and easy. My family loved it!"
"I use a sweet cornbread instead as the first layer baked as instructed, then add refried beans, mexican cheese,cooked meat with onions,red beans,taco seasoning,another layer on cheese. bake at 350 until cheese melted. cut into squares and layer with tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream and black olives. Yummm."