Southwestern Swiss Steak Recipe
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 10 onion slices
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup mild, medium or hot picante sauce
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Using a mallet, pound all of the flour into the meat.
- 2. In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Brown the meat on both sides. Arrange onion slices over the meat. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over onions. Cover and simmer until the meat is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove meat and keep warm.
- 3. Cook the sauce until it is reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if desired. Pour sauce over meat and serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 229 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 503 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.