Southwestern Spoon Bread
This recipe has a nice flavor and golden color, and is especially good served with enchiladas, which we New Mexicans enjoy during any season.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, stir together all ingredients except last two. Pour half
- the batter into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with chilies
- and cheese. Pour remaining batter over all. Bake at 375° for
- about 45 minutes or just until set. Serve warm with a spoon. Yield:
- 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 271 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 533 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.