Southwestern Spaghetti Recipe
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 package (7 ounces) thin spaghetti, broken into thirds
- 6 small zucchini (about 1 pound), cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove beef and keep warm. In the same skillet, combine the water, tomato sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, salt if desired and cumin; bring to a boil. Stir in spaghetti; return to a boil.
- 2. Boil for 6 minutes.
- 3. Add the zucchini. Cook 4-5 minutes longer or until spaghetti and zucchini are tender, stirring several times. Stir in beef; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
One serving (prepared with lean ground beef and reduced-fat cheese and without salt) equals 340 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 676 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.