Southwestern Soup Recipe
- 3 cups water
- 4 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups salsa
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- 2. Sprinkle individual servings with cheese. Serve with tortilla chips if desired. Yield: 12 servings (4 quarts).
1-1/3 cup: 194 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 1039mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Southwestern Soup
"I had to beef up the beans and corn. This was too soupy for my taste as it was. Definitely awesome flavor, though!"
"I gave it 4 stars because I made a good bit of changes. That said with the changes it was great and still easy.I cut all ingredients in half. I also sauteed some veggies I had on hand like onions, mushrooms, and zucchini. If you want your soup spicier use hot salsa or add 1 tsp chili powder and 1/4 tsp cayenne. I also added a tsp of cumin. We garnished the soup with green onion, tbsp sour cream and cheese. I will definitely make this again with the changes I made. YUM!"
"<p>In a bind I would make it again for the ease of it. It was just very normal (not bland though) but without any meat my family won't touch it so I always add about a pound (or less) of already cooked ground beef.</p>"
"The first time I made this recipe I followed it to exactness. Upon tasting it, it reminded me of a minestrone soup I had at a restaurant once. The second time I made it, I sauted 1 chopped onion along with two diced carrots, and added 1 1/2 cups of small shell noodles to the last 15 minutes of cooking time. That was outstanding as was the first attempt!!"
"Excellent, my family loved this...even my very picky son. Next time I may add a little ground turkey though."
"I came across this recipe in my Taste of Home Cookbook,decided to try it.Absoulutly loved it. Great on a cold winter day."
"I prepare a new recipe from my Taste of Home magazine every Sunday. I chose this recipe this week as we were having our first real cold day here in the Chicago area. My husband and I loved it. I took samples to work and passed them around to my co-workers and it was a huge hit! I love this magazine! Thanks, Mrs. Atkison"