Southwestern Soup Recipe
A Southwestern kick adds zip and zest to this tomato basil-based soup. With corn, salsa and beans, this recipe is guaranteed to spice up a cool fall night. Jean Ecos, Hartland, Wisconsin
- 3 cups water
- 4 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups salsa
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- 2. Sprinkle individual servings with cheese. Serve with tortilla chips if desired. Yield: 12 servings (4 quarts).
1-1/3 cups (calculated without tortilla chips) equals 194 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 1,039 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC