- 3 cups water
- 4 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups salsa
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle individual servings with cheese. Serve with tortilla chips if desired. Yield: 12 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Southwestern Soup
Sort By :
I had to beef up the beans and corn. This was too soupy for my taste as it was. Definitely awesome flavor, though!
So easy to make and so yummy!
I gave it 4 stars because I made a good bit of changes. That said with the changes it was great and still easy.
I cut all ingredients in half. I also sauteed some veggies I had on hand like onions, mushrooms, and zucchini. If you want your soup spicier use hot salsa or add 1 tsp chili powder and 1/4 tsp cayenne. I also added a tsp of cumin. We garnished the soup with green onion, tbsp sour cream and cheese. I will definitely make this again with the changes I made. YUM!
In a bind I would make it again for the ease of it. It was just very normal (not bland though) but without any meat my family won't touch it so I always add about a pound (or less) of already cooked ground beef.
The first time I made this recipe I followed it to exactness. Upon tasting it, it reminded me of a minestrone soup I had at a restaurant once. The second time I made it, I sauted 1 chopped onion along with two diced carrots, and added 1 1/2 cups of small shell noodles to the last 15 minutes of cooking time. That was outstanding as was the first attempt!!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Soup >
- Mexican Soups >