Southwestern Skewers Recipe
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 large fresh mushrooms
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Pour half into a large resealable plastic bag; add vegetables. Seal bag and turn to coat. Pour remaining marinade into another large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate vegetables and chicken for at least 2-3 hours.
- 2. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Drain vegetables, reserving marinade for basting. On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread chicken and vegetables.
- 3. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, basting frequently with reserved marinade. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (2 kabobs) equals 231 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 275 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Southwestern Skewers
"I love spicy food and I LOVE cooking with fresh garlic...will definitly be trying this recipe soon. Annie P."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.