Juicy chicken, cherry tomatoes, whole mushrooms and sweet peppers make these skewers filling. But it's the fresh garlic, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper that give them their zesty kick. —Larry Smith of Youngstown, Ohio
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 large fresh mushrooms
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Pour half into a large resealable plastic bag; add vegetables. Seal bag and turn to coat. Pour remaining marinade into another large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate vegetables and chicken for at least 2-3 hours.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Drain vegetables, reserving marinade for basting. On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread chicken and vegetables.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, basting frequently with reserved marinade. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Skewers in Light & Tasty June/July 2002, p39
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Southwestern Skewers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 22, 2009
"I love spicy food and I LOVE cooking with fresh garlic...will definitly be trying this recipe soon. Annie P."