- 1 bottle (8 ounces) reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepepr
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 large fresh mushrooms
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Pour half into a large resealable plastic bag; add vegetables. Seal bag and turn to coat. Pour remaining marinade into another large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate vegetables and chicken for at least 2-3 hours.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Drain vegetables, reserving marinade for basting. On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread chicken and vegetables.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, basting frequently with reserved marinade. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Southwestern Skewers
Sort By :
"I use grape tomatoes instead of cherry.....my hubby gets mad when the cherry ones burst on the grill-lol!"
"I love this-so does everyone I make it for! I add zucchini and summer squash to the vegetables and I use more Italian sdalad dressing , almost a 16 ounce bottle. I serve this with rice pilaf and corn on the cob. Wonderful and healthy too!"
"I love spicy food and I LOVE cooking with fresh garlic...will definitly be trying this recipe soon. Annie P."
"My family (including two preschoolers) loved this! I didn't have any mushrooms, but will get some for next time, and didn't use any tomatoes. I will definitely make this again!"